Fun facts about aviation

Malev’s only IL-62, leased from CSA for 2 months for flights between Hungary and Japan.

1 Like

KLM’s IL-62s, they had I’m pretty sure a few of em.

1 Like

Ain’t nobody gon talk bout that 3rd engine

1 Like

Exclusive: Ex. Air Belgium A340-300’s found a new home with romanian charter company, Legend Airlines!

2 Likes

TAROM’s Tupolev TU-154B at Zürich in 1987

1 Like

You put against TAROM, you loose!

1 Like

Lufthansa’a CEO claims “it still has 14 A380’s in storage” once with the sudden rise of bookings for this summer seasons exceeding pre-2019 levels. :eyes:

1 Like

Surely you have heard of the MD-80 family of aircraft. Many of you (especially us on the western side of the US) know that Erickson Aero Tanker operates a few of them to drop fire retardant on wildfires that plague the western states every year.
Well did you know, when the do low and slow approaches to drop the pre-mentioned fire retardants, the crews have to lower the landing gear down before dropping their payload. They do so to create extra drag to allow the engines to stay on higher RPMs (reducing the need to wait on the longer spool up times on the older engines), but also to prevent stalling.

That’s why in many of the photos depicting the MD-87 low and slow dropping the orange fire retardant, they have their gear down.

Image by dp.aviation02 on Jet Photos

4 Likes

Lufthansa officially takes into account that it “may” bring back the A380!
https://simpleflying.com/could-lufthansa-reactivate-airbus-a380/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_content=echo&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR3u6Zoh6AgnSahZt_w7yD5aUu2IdnFRRYVCupzCCFlwDXQbpwcgQftwJeY#Echobox=1651930898

1 Like

Unlike what most of you probably think, the An-225 has had 3 different registrations:

CCCP-480182
CCCP-82060
UR-82060

1 Like

TAROM’s A310 at JFK back in 2001🥹

1 Like

Fun fact, when UA was retraining crews on the 737MAX, they flew from DEN-GJT. This went on for a week or two and it was usually two training flights a day (in addition to the regular service).

2 Likes

Damn. No pics?

1 Like

New York on 9/10/01…so odd to think about

4 Likes

No. I rarely ever go spotting. GJT is an hour drive away for me.

2 Likes

Oh… now I’ve seen it. One day before 9/11 …

2 Likes

ok thats eerie to think about

one day before the worst day in aviation history

1 Like

It’s also eerie to think that August 31, 1939 existed.

3 Likes

I’d say the same with February 23, 2022 too.

3 Likes

Same for October 23rd, 2003

1 Like