Civilian Aircraft Laws

Hello!

I desperately need some advice here. I just want to know what would happen and how I should approach it.

Here’s some backstory:

My school has an MUN program. We’re doing a simulation of the Yemen crisis and I’m sending a plane to evacuate Qatari natives. I wrote to my senior teachers about the operation and it was 10 paragraphs of vital information about the operation, including safety precautions preventing shootdowns, bombings, riots, ambushes, mechanical failures, and runway overruns. I have a suspicion that the seniors won’t read every single detail and shoot down my airliner. What would I be able to do to condemn their actions? Please answer the questions.

(note: in this crisis, my country is Qatar)

What would happen is a country shot down an airliner outside of their airspace? What would I be able to charge that country with?

What would I be able to charge the government for?

What would happen if a country fabricated information about the shootdown to justify their actions? What would I be able to charge them with?

What would be an appropriate retaliation against the shootdown? How would I justify it?

2 Likes

I am in the model UN program for my school as well, (my country is Israel). I can relate to this in many ways. Now if you want to protect, you could do what El AL does on their planes by installing it’s middle defense systems, but you should be able to charge that country with something under the UN procedures. Try using Google to find that one out. Maybe someone else here can help with that.

2 Likes

I was looking online and it says the the UN and ICAO condemns airliner violence but I haven’t found anything on punishments for airliner violence.

1 Like

Well if they did this, assuming this is International there would be serious problems for this country, mainly the backlash and what the retaliation is afterwards. Additionally, look at examples like MH17 and see that commanders in the country would be charged with crimes.

Murder, or at least Manslaughter if there is evidence in their favor

Falsifying Information, which looks really good for them

Again, let’s look at real life examples: Think of what happened mainly: Sanctions and restrictions on a global scale, and depending on your style of leadership (just look at what the United States did in 2020 against Iran) even more serious consequences

1 Like

If it rules in my favor, I might be able to sue to recover the costs of the plane and to repay the families of the passengers.

2 Likes

Also, who would be shooting you down if anyone? UAE, SA, Iran?

2 Likes

It would most likely be Iran.

1 Like

Iran? What is your planned flight path?

2 Likes

My path goes through the following country’s airspaces

UAE
Oman
Seychelles
Somalia
Ethiopia
Saudi Arabia
Yemen

(I got permission from all of these countries to use their airspace)

2 Likes

Well…you see you are making it hard on yourself: simply put if you depart Doha and immediately go West until Riyadh and then turn South it would be much easier to do.

2 Likes

I would then enter Houthi controlled airspace. They’d shoot down the plane.

2 Likes

Wait, where are you going specifically in Yemen and where are the Houthis in this scenario? I know where they are in real life but I don’t know if you are different at all

2 Likes

Aden International Airport. The Houthis are in North Yemen.

2 Likes

If I look at KAL007, I can try to charge them with crimes against humanity and mass murder.

1 Like

Okay, here is what I got: so as your two enemies in This scenario are Iran and the Houthis here is what I say. Pretty much, as soon as you takeoff from Doha you turn due West to stay in Qatari airspace as long as possible. After that you would enter Saudi airspace, you don’t turn until halfway to Riyadh where you turn South, heading towards Oman. Once you cross the Omani border you turn right and hug the Red Sea on the Yemen coast until Aden

2 Likes

Saudi Arabia in my scenario is currently being attacked by missile and we’re only allowed to fly there under strict circumstances.

2 Likes

Here is what it could look like:

2 Likes

In this plan, we would fly directly over ISIS and Al Qaeda controlled cities. They brought down a plane (in my scenario) before.

2 Likes

We would risk being shot down here.

2 Likes

Mine looks like this

2 Likes