Cars vs. Public Transit

Florida could make it work, you just need funding outside of the Government.

Proof is Brightline, the golden star of America, who’s single-handedly better than 99.99% of Amtrak services. They’ve been so successful that they’re already building another railway from California to Las Vegas. Brightline could definitely do great on local services, or another company who actually cares about transit enough and isn’t just someone who “cares” but really drives a $150,000 car 1 mile to Walmart.

2 Likes

it is amazing from what i’ve heard

also who are able to get right of way from freight railroads and also build their own lines

suburban rail by brightline?
hell yeah!

lmao

except delhi

theres a train every 90 seconds there

I don’t live there.

It’s still an amazing example. I was just going off your location on your profile.

1 Like

Well, I live on Bonaire, so.

Can’t really do anything with busses here.

only a dream away

for now best NA regional rail network imo is GO Transit. speed, range, rolling stock, and affordability.

Under $30 anywhere across the network, distance based
Major lines hourly
Busiest lines (Lakeshore) every 15 minutes
Airport-Downtown rail link
Electrification starts this year
Tier 4 Emission locomotives and Bombardier BiLevels
Owns trackage on important lines
Security Staff on every train

1 Like

And it gives me a sense of superiority when I zip by the peasants at a bus stop waiting in the cold for the bus to show up, while I enjoy a stereo and some heated seats.

Seems more like an india problem than a car problem imo. You guys just have terrible traffic management.

Even in areas with relatively organized traffic but a high urban population density and vehicle movements (think Tokyo, Hong Kong, Singapore,) the metro and other rail systems that serve the region are likely to be faster than driving and of course, the bus.

So yes, it is entirely possible for public transit to be faster than cars, but it is highly unlikely that the mode of transit in question is the bus, unless the entire bus network has its own lanes and right of way.

2 Likes

Oh for sure. I’m not going to deny that trains are faster in dense urban areas. Buses through are ultimately the worst mode of transit. You neither have the privacy of your own vehicle, and you have to sit in the same traffic as the rest of the road going vehicles.

2 Likes

amazing!!

thats a bit expensive imo
1800 rupees
i can fly to bangalore with that money or go in rajdhani in first class all the way to delhi

in india on most suburban/commuter rail networks 30 rupees is the maximum cost (.50 canadain $)

better than most amtrak routes lmao

your situation is different
here i just have to show up at a bus stop and a bus would come in less than 5 minutes

Thats the USA

Yes, Bangalore has terrible traffic management. Even the city has given up and increased taxes on cars and parking. Now they are only focused on forming a TfL like body and fixing the metro and buses.

yes

Yes, but unlike traffic in india, that is actually moving.

1 Like

Trains are faster almost everywhere until a certain distance, after which flying becomes faster.

Why bother about that?

Right of way?

it’s only for one of the longer trips, across the entire lengths of 2 lines. (interlined, no train transfer) 4 hours on the train, usually 6 hour drive + traffic.

on our actual intercity rail, via, it’s a $70 ticket for premium economy, which is absolute dog water compared to the services GO offers. only good thing about it is reservable seats, and a cafe car.

not to mention, you’ll actually be on an old amtrak train since the only intercity rail that services niagara is the crossborder maple leaf service, which is infrequent (once a day) and uses the old and gross amtrak rolling stock

realistically most actual trips are no more than $10, averaging $2-5 per ride in comparison

1 Like

the biggest delay i’ve seen to date on GO is a 2 hour delay due to someone giving up. during the time they had shuttle buses faster than train frequency (every 5 mins compared to every 15 mins) to try and meet the capacity as close as possible.

they’re also double tracking the whole system, allowing for peak 15-min service across the important corridors, every 30-60 mins during off peak and on less busy corridors

1 Like

oh

is that via’s equivalent to first class?
4200 rupees :skull:

oh

so via doesnt run the lines?

imagine missing it lmao

oh
fair enough

LOL typo. i meant “escape fare”/less depressing name for basic economy

1 Like

sweet sweet amtrak. i only like them here since it’s a change of scenery from the usual green or yellow trains, otherwise i’d rather them use the new via rail chargers

1 Like

oh

thats nice of them

these buses?

thats better than the southwestern mainline of the indian railways
only 75% is double tracked

nice!