Artemis I Launch Thread

Artemis I Launch Thread

(NASA)

Hello and welcome to the Artemis I launch thread! In this thread, you will see a variety of updates and milestones relating to the Artemis I mission, the first mission in the Artemis program, which has the goal of the United States and its partners putting a man back on the moon for the first time since the conclusion of the Apollo program in the year 1972.

What will the Timeline of the Mission Look Like?

To see a view of the mission timeline, please take a look below at the NASA graphic:

(NASA)

What Equipment is Being Used for this Flight?

On this mission, two key parts of the Artemis program will be put through a large series of tests for future spaceflight; these are the Orion spacecraft, and it’s launch vehicle, the Space Launch System.

Information About the Equipment

Orion Spacecraft

(NASA)

Making its debut as a full spacecraft, the Orion Spacecraft will be one of the most significant parts of this mission. After originally making its spaceflight debut as a Crew Module only flight atop a United Launch Alliance Delta IV Heavy rocket in December 2014 the European Service Module will be joined to form the full spacecraft. The Crew Module is built by Lockheed Martin, while the European Service Module is built by Airbus Defense and Space.

Space Launch System

(NASA)

Making its first launch, the Space Launch System if everything goes according to schedule will become the largest rocket ever launched into space, beating its predecessor from the Apollo program, the Saturn V. The Space Launch System is built in a variety of sections, with the primary sections being the Core Stage, the Solid Rocket Boosters, the Launch Vehicle Stage Adapter, and finally the Interim Cryogenic Propulsion Stage. The Core Stage is built by Boeing Defense, Space & Security, the Solid Rocket Boosters are built by Northrop Grumman, the Launch Vehicle Stage Adapter is built by Teledyne Brown Engineering, and the Interim Cryogenic Propulsion Stage is built by Boeing Defense, Space & Security alongside United Launch Alliance.

What Significant Events are Occurring with the Launch?

Scheduled for sometime in the summer of 2022, the Space Launch System is expected to undergo a Wet Dress Rehearsal for the mission; during this, the rocket’s flight computers will be tested, the launch countdown will be run, and the rocket’s Liquid Hydrogen and Liquid Oxygen tanks will be filled with propellant

Scheduled for somewhere in August 2022, the actual launch of the Space Launch System will occur, and the beginning of the Artemis program, this flight is expected to last for 26 days.

3 Likes

SLS has rolled out of the Vehicle Assembly building and is now on its way towards Launch Pad 39-B!

(NASA)

3 Likes

Which day is it Launching

Sometime in between the launch window running from early June to mid July

2 Likes

Ok so excited to se it launch

1 Like

SLS has now arrived at Launch Pad 39-B! This is where it will conduct its Wet Dress Rehearsal in the coming weeks, allowing for a few later stage tests and checks to be performed before its actual launch after that.

(NASA)

4 Likes

I was watching a live stream about it and it says it is one of the fastest rockets ever

1 Like

Following administrative approval earlier in the week, Artemis I’s wet-dress rehearsal is set to start on April 1st and run through April 3rd! During this crucial event in the pre-launch protocol the tanks of SLS will be filled with propellants, a full launch countdown will be performed, and mission timelines and procedures will be reviewed. Following the conclusion of this, a definitive launch date based on previously announced launch windows will be announced!

(NASA)

3 Likes

according to NASA’s blog they have begun the wet dress rehearsal and are now filling up the sound suppression system. They will also begin charging the batteries on the core strange tonight.

1 Like

After some complications with the first attempt at tanking of SLS’s core stage, the second attempt at a full tanking will take place tomorrow. Similar to the first time, the main tanks will be filled with propellant and ensure that all propulsion systems are functioning as exepcted.

1 Like

SLS was rolled back to the Vehicle Assembly Building following anomalies detected during the next attempt at its Wet Dress Rehearsal, it will remain here for quite some time until the issue has been resolved; the launch has been pushed back till at least August.

(NASA)

3 Likes

Going for Round 2, SLS has returned to the launch pad. Looking at another Wet Dress Rehearsal attempt no earlier than June 19th, and a probable launch window is set for late August.

(NASA)

2 Likes

Targeted Launch Date Is: August 29 of this year, with backup dates of September 2nd and 5th

2 Likes

SLS rollout for Artemis 1 is very likely to be delayed due to lightning storms

1 Like

NASA’s flight review for Artemis I has been completed, and we are now within one week until launch! The scheduled time of lift-off is 08:33 ET on August 29th from Launchpad 39B at the Kennedy Space Center.

(NASA)

3 Likes

Go watch it lol.

1 Like

With less than 10 hours before launch, SLS is due to begin the fueling process. Over the course of 3 hours, the rocket will be filled with some 730,000 gallons of propellant, which will be feeding the 4 Aerojet Rocketdyne RS-25 main engines located in the core stage.

(NASA)

3 Likes

Due to my own schedule with school, I’ll be able to provide minimal updates for today during the launch. However, NASA’s live stream will be carrying coverage throughout the day of the launch of Artemis I. At this point, we are merely 63 minutes away from launch.

3 Likes

owo

Well, to keep this short, they scrubbed due to temperature issues with one of the RS-25s, engine number 3.

It does appear the media side of NASA is hopeful for the September 2nd launch day, based on the livestream rescheduling to that day. Whether or not NASA actually plans that utilize that day is beyond me

3 Likes