What Would McDonnell Douglas Look Like Today?

What would MD look like today if they weren’t bought out by Boeing? Perhaps we’d still see the DC-9’s legacy still in production or the American version of the A380, the MD-12.

Anyways, discuss what you think MD would look like today below.

1 Like

MD-21, passenger version of the SR71 (M21) :smirk:

1 Like

It would most probably build a plane similar to the 787/A330neo to compete with Airbus and Boeing, focusing on efficiency. As for narrowbodies, they might have a modern version of the MD80/90, competing with the 737NG and A320ceo.

1 Like

They’d be bankrupt

2 Likes

Nooooo u stole what I’d say :rage:

1 Like

and the SR-71 is totally made by MD

2 Likes

Lockheed Martin be like: you stole my design

1 Like

I mean the truth is if Boeing hadn’t bought them they would have been gone before 2000 rolled around most likely, even if by some miracle they made it past that they would have been flushed out after 9/11

2 Likes

Yea it’s MD that f*cked Boeing up

Just look how great Boeing was before they bought MD

how did MD mess up Boeing?

1 Like

You probably could make the argument MD is still around nowadays, they just acquired all of Boeing’s assets and took the name of the more prominent company

1 Like

in literally every way possible. In fact, an ex-CEO of MD and Boeing said he wated to make Boeing a greedy profit-seeking company instead of the great engineering company they used to be

Even the frickin logo is from MD!

1 Like

Huh, making a new generation of an existing aircraft instead of a clean sheet? Where did I hear that one…DC-9, MD-80, MD-90…

2 Likes

717 (MD-95)

also MD-11…

1 Like

And his dream partly became reality, Mulienburg was one of them

(You know, profit over safety)

1 Like

Fun fact: MD in their entire history never made a cleansheet design

1 Like

Not sure if we count the DC-10 or not…

1 Like

True