The Ultimate Engines Battle: CFM56 vs IAE V2500

We all know the A320: one of the most popular jet airliners in the skies. However I think you also realise that the A320ceo comes with two different engine types: The CFM56 and IAEV2500.

Summary
The CFM56 was introduced in 1974 while the IAE is much newer, with entry to service in 1987. The CFM was the initial engine option for the A320. The IAE later became the other choice for airlines. British Airways flew the first A320s with CFMs but later switched to IAEs for the rest of its fleet. The two main subvariants of the A320-200, A320-21X and -23X differentiate between the two engines, with them being CFM and IAE respectively. Pilots who have flown both have said that ‘the CFM is more resistant to FOD while the IAE gets us to cruise more quickly’. The IAE is also notable for its slow start time.

CFMs on A320

IAE on A320

Which one do you prefer?

This video should help you decide.

Personally I prefer the IAE since it looks and sounds like a mini RB211.

Which do you prefer? Vote and comment below!

• IAE
  • CFM
0 voters
1 Like

IAE forever!

1 Like

Me too!

1 Like

The thing is, I used to think CFM was more powerful since it seemed bigger but actually the IAE had a tiny bit more power

1 Like

And do you agree the A320 with IAE is like a mini 757? :eyes:

1 Like

kinda

1 Like

The same buzzing sound and for some reason the engines’ shape are very similar (RB211/IAE)

1 Like

Insert RR Tay (F70/100 engine) here

Hell yeah IAE! CFM can go die in a pit

2 Likes

:laughing:
Yes and no

2 Likes

I just hate the CFM thrust reversers :joy::joy:

1 Like

I actually prefer it lol

1 Like

of course, hairdryer A340 also powered by CFM

1 Like

no it’s bc the IAE reverser is in like EVERY engine lol

1 Like

I’ve heard someone ask if the engine is broken on a CFM A320 with reverse thrust deployed :joy::joy:

So to prevent people screaming for no reason let’s stick to the IAE

1 Like

CFM56. It powered the 737 classics (a.k.a the best 737 series), so CFM is definitely better.

1 Like

well no :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Well, yes. I do like the OGs a lot, but the classics are just a tad better.

IAE succ

1 Like

It’s a different model :wink:

2 Likes