Southwest Airlines Heavily Considering Airbus A220

Southwest Airlines considering adding the Airbus A220

Since 1971, Southwest has had an all Boeing aircraft fleet and 99.99% all Boeing 737 aircraft with the exception of a few Boeing 727s early on.

But since the grounding of the MAX and their aging older 737-700s, Southwest may finally be ready to add a new aircraft type to its fleet. One that sits around 140 - 150 passengers.

“We absolutely do need the smaller airplane,” Southwest CEO Gary Kelly said during the airlines 3rd quarter earnings on Thursday, Oct. 22. “We have a ton of 737-700s that are coming up for retirement over the next several years.”

With all the expanding Southwest has done with adding service to new airports and returning to old ones, ordering a new plane during a crisis is not necessarily a bad idea. As long as they can support the financial commitment, the companies are often desperate for new deals as orders are scarce and deliveries are slow.

In addition to potential deals, Southwest is anticipating a recovery in air travel over the next two to three years.

Southwest is also evaluating the A220 and 737 MAX 7 and is to place an order for one of those 2, or both, within the next year with deliveries beginning around 2025.

The MAX grounding appears to be what broke the string of SWAs long, exclusive relationship from Boeing. Shortly before the MAX suspension began in March of 2019, CEO Gary Kelly told investors that SWA was not considering alternatives to the Boeing 737. Well, that sure did change fast.

While the split with Boeing remains to happen or not, Southwest’s eye is wandering. “The A220 and MAX 7, they’re the two players in the marketplace,” said Van de Ven, Southwest’s Operations Chief. “Both of those airplanes have their strengths and disadvantages. And we’ve been looking at both planes.”

The A220-300 can fly up to 160 passengers in a single class layout just over 3,900 miles whereas the 737 MAX 7 can carry up to 172 passenger for 4,430 miles.

Although, the A220’s seeming advantages over the MAX 7 may not be enough to persuade Southwest as they are a living example of the benefits of a single fleet.

In my opinion, I think it would be a great addition to Southwest’s fleet. Most of Southwest’s flights are “shuttle like” and a more fuel efficient plane that can carry about the same amount of people to replace SWAs older 737-700s would be a great idea.

Let me know what you think about this below!

Thanks and good night,

AviationFreak

7 Likes

I think 737 is better than A220.

1 Like

Haha, whether they get it or not, its a huge decision and will be fun to see what they do :slight_smile:

@moderators this should be #real-world-aviation

:heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Sorry there was no RWA section. Just RWA and Spotting together.

It doesn’t look bad, I guess

It’s grotesquely neo.

1 Like

What do you mean by that?

Beautiful!

It is quite interesting

Revivin’ againCprh GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

on a serious note. They should keep the 737-700 even though its wayy less feul efficient. The 737-700 uses 2.343 gal per NM 2.111 gal per NM (with split scimitars).

The A220 on the other hand uses 1.518 gal per NM.

The 737-700 also has more range and more passenger capacity. Also Southwest wouldnt be Southwest without just having 737s.

1 Like

You know they already made a choice right?

2 Likes

Eh they ordered over 100 MAX 7s a few months ago…

Well uh they wanted to use 717s, but didn’t because they didn’t want to train all the pilots on 717s, so I doubt this will work

1 Like

Sells all ex-AirTran 717s to Delta

1 Like

Yes. I’m glad that they those the 737.

This may seem as an unlikely response from me, but I never thought of the A220 as a true Airbus.

3 Likes

It’s adopted

2 Likes

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: World Flying Community Off-Topic Discussion (Part 9)

this topic is ancient why are yall still replying to it

1 Like