My crazy flight (on IF) into KMSY (Story)

So yesterday i decided to fly the KSEA-KMSY route using an Alaska airlines 737-800. I wanted to fly into KMSY because it was quite windy there according to the metar when i was checking it in KSEA. It was showing winds 25kts gusting 36kts with 2sm visib so i thought “hmmm thisll be fun and challenging” Well this was nothing compared to what i experienced coming into KMSY. Lets fast forward to the descent. After a beautiful takeoff out of KSEA and a relatively uneventful flight i was starting my descent into KMSY. It was really smooth until i reached Baton Rouge and after that it was Moderate turbulence that kept getting worse as i got closer to KMSY. Once i was on final i had barely any visibility so i had to use IFR while i was getting hit with a 40kt gusting to 58kt Head/Crosswind. Then about 1NM out i had the runway in sight and flew in manually. I was able to get wheels to the ground but then the plane was drifting to one side of the runway so i put down the spoilers and went around. When i went around i made a FPL to re-attempt the landing. As soon as i was in the air for like a minute i was hit with firm 103KT winds that made LNAV virtually useless so i had to hand fly my plane. It was so turbulent that my plane was pulling 2 positive gs and getting 0g moments. It was barely controllable. Then i came in for a second attempt into KMSY and this time (same winds) i landed really hard and my wing almost hit the ground. I was able to stick this landing though because if i went around one more time i wouldve diverted. It was pretty challenging but probs one of my most enjoyable experiences in IF.

Happy flying- Stormy.

• I flew there yesterday (on flight sim)
  • I wish i was there sounds thrilling
  • Im happy I didnt come that sounds very scary

0 voters

2 Likes

Yep I hit those too

2 Likes

It was a fun day tho. I always fly into hurricanes. There was a hurricane a while back and it was a friday. Suprisingly the area around the hurricane was more busy than the FNF.

2 Likes

Yeah I remember some of those
Lots of people

2 Likes

We all did that and it was horrifying.

2 Likes

Ya. they had to pass out extra vomit bags to the passengers.

2 Likes

102 knot crosswinds 7 nm out. Thanks Ida.

1 Like

you forgot the ho lol

1 Like

Also, I think for me on final, I experienced some kind of microburst.

1 Like

I just started slowing down and then stalled and fell 500 feet.

1 Like

thats cool. On approach i went from -200fpm to -1100fpm.

1 Like

Damn that’s rough

1 Like

and the wind shear OMG.

Saw you flying overhead while departing KDAL. I kinda knew that you’d be for a hell of a landing :joy:

1 Like

cool! lol yeah it was a hell of a landing.

also where were you headed?

dFw?! Lol

1 Like

lol

1 Like

thats a long haul tho! JK

1 Like

Quick flight to HOU so I could catch a SWVA internal event to Cancun. Just arrived back to HOU a couple hours ago.

1 Like