Back to Flying! Civil Air Patrol

(Copy and Paste from the IFC if you don’t mind)

Hey all! I’m proud to announce that I have successfully completed my first general aviation flight in over a year. I was able to take this opportunity with Civil Air Patrol (CAP) who hosted their first Orientation Flights (O-Ride) since last year. This gave me the opportunity to hop back into flying again!

To give a brief explanation of CAP, it’s a youth / adult government organization which educates and employs many future cadets who’ve started to pursue an aviation career. I’ve joined last year and unfortunately, that was a week into the pandemic so the O-Rides have been halted. CAP gives you 5 free O-Rides after you join which is an awesome opportunity to hop in an aircraft and get flying.

Today’s flight brought me, the pilot (who was extremely nice), and 2 other CAP members from North Las Vegas Airport (KVGT) to Perkins Field (U08) and back. Both ways takes roughly 30 minutes.

The aircraft for today’s flight was an Australian-made Gippsland GA-8 Skyvan.The registration is N474CP.

I sat on the 2nd left row on this 8 seater aircraft. I was extremely happy to see us up in the air after so long.

After transitioning Nellis AFB and having one of the CAP Members hand-fly, we begin descent to U08 over the Valley of Fire! :fire:

After a smooth (not really) touchdown into Perkins, we switch controls and I head up to the co-pilots seat.

I had the ability to hand-fly the full 28 minutes back excluding the takeoff and landing. Some minor turbulences over Nellis on the way back but it was awesome to have controls again!

A little video of the landing by the pilot!

Lastly, here was flight path.

Extreme appreciation for CAP for letting members do this free orientation flights. This is what makes them stand out. I definitely suggest everyone to join as it’s a great experience for everyone!

Here’s the link if you’re interested :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I love the images. The white really brings out the black text. These were shot on an iPhone, eh?

You, uh, may wanna fix that, lol.

This sounds like an awesome experience. I hope you had a blast! :airplane:

3 Likes

I should proof read before posting lol. I’m guessing none of the images loaded for you either?

1 Like

Fixed it now, sorry bout that lol

1 Like

Not your fault! It happens when you copy and paste. I’ve got no idea why.

Nonetheless, these photos are truly spectacular!

1 Like

I myself am a cadet of the Civil Air patrol. My first O-ride was back in august of 2019. We took off out of U76 (Mountain Home muni) and flew out to KJER (Jerome muni) both flights took a little over an hour. It wasn’t very smooth but I was allowed to do the first part of the descent into KJER. On our way back to U76 I was watching the altimeter and we hit a patch of turbulence and dropped 160ft. It was a great flight.

1 Like

We hit a bit of turbulence over Nellis, the aircraft seemed to have gained a hundred feet too haha

1 Like

Saw this on the IFC. Nice pictures!

2 Likes

I took my second O-ride in October of 2020. It wasn’t very bumpy but it was super smoky from the wildfires. We flew out from KMAN (Nampa muni) and flew over to KONO (Ontario Oregon muni) both flights took about 50min. It was nice because we approached KONO over the snake river and then when on our way back to KMAN I got to hand fly along the snake river and mess with the trim then we flew into KMAN over lake Lowell. Over the summer in July of 2020 I got to fly with the MAF (mission Aviation Fellowship) on a pattern around KMAN the two best part we’re that the pilot LET ME LAND and there were NO MASKS.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.