World Flying Community Off-Topic Discussion (Part 17)

question

Does the FAA have authority to divert a plane if they feel it is necessary?

Like say if a Singapore Airlines flight from Los Angeles to Singapore was an hour into the flight, could ATC contact them with orders by the FAA or CAAS to turn around and divert back to Los Angeles?

trying to write a story if you’re wondering

what’s the story about

1 Like

We’ll see, I just need the main character back to Los Angeles as fast as possible

1 Like

I don’t know for sure, but I guess they could if that plane is still in US airspace

2 Likes

Would they just be like “Singapore 37 Heavy, you are under orders by the Federal Aviation Administration to return to Los Angeles.”

2 Likes

I chose Singapore because the flight attendants/Singapore Girls seem like the type of flight attendants to deal with this situation best.

1 Like

and I just realized this is pretty much the prologue to Rich People Problems by Kevin Kwan

Well, this could probably happen

Notable example: 9/11, who else would have ordered the planes to divert when the US airspace was closed

2 Likes

True, but would it be as informal as what I wrote? Would they not have to give a reason?

1 Like

They would most likely have to.

For your story, you could make one up

1 Like

The reason they would have to turn around is because they need to offload one of the passengers (the main character) for extremely important foreign affairs/crisis management (you probably know exactly what this story by these four words).

1 Like

ah ok
good luck with ur story

1 Like

Also what oakland oceanic center frequency would be in use for airspace off the coast of San Francisco?

1 Like

That reminds me of that Ryanair flight which landed in Belarus

2 Likes

I don’t regret googling that

1 Like

3 Likes

hello

1 Like

Hello.

2 Likes